Saturday 25 July 2009

More Cardinal Tetras

We went and bought six more Cardinal Tetras today. The original plan was to buy four and get two more female Mollies, as the male Molly is constantly harassing the speckled female Molly and ignoring the other two females. I thought this was a bit strange until I discovered that there are two aquarium species of Molly, the Black Molly and the Sailfin Molly. Males are easy to tell apart, one has a small dorsal fin and the other has a long one, but the females all look the same (to me at least). I guess I bought one Back Molly female and two Sailfin Molly females. Once again not doing my research has led to this predicament. As I was perusing the pet shop tank for new females that look similar to the one we currently have, I noticed a dead Molly in the tank. One thing I have learnt from all my research is that never to buy fish from a tank that has a dead fish in, as you do not know what the cause of death was. So we ended up just getting the six Cardinals instead.

Can you spot the new ones?

1 comment: