Tuesday 30 June 2009

And They Call Him Houdini

L and I have just had a big shock. We just sat down to eat dinner and looked over to the tank and I noticed that the Siamese Fighter was missing. Oh, we thought, he is just hiding somewhere beneath the bogwood or amongst the plants. 5 minutes later and still no sign of him, we started to panic. Our dinner got pushed to the side and we started hunting high and low for him. Could not find him anywhere, I even checked the cross beams, thinking he might have tried to jump out of the tank and landed on one of them. Still no Siamese Fighter. L suggested that maybe he could be in the filter box. I opened the lid and looked in and could not see him, and then low and behold, there he swam into view. One quick net catch later and he was back into the tank.

Now the interesting bit, I am not sure how he got in there! There are no large holes into the filter for him to swim through. The only place we can think of is the gap between the pipe that creates the current and the filter wall. We will have to keep a close eye him to make sure that this does not become a regular occurrence, else I will have to look at ways of bocking the gap.

This is the back between the pipe and the wall. In the time it took me to write the above bit, he went and did it again and got himself into the filter. So I had to come up with a quick solution to stop him getting in again. I took an old plastic plant container that I had kept and cut the bottom off and wedged it over the pipe, blocking the gap. I hope this will work, though it looks awful. Let see if Houdini can get inside now.

No comments:

Post a Comment